What is Computer Science and Engineering?
Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) is a branch of engineering which combines the field of Computer Engineering and Computer Science. This program encompasses plenty of topics related to computation, algorithms, programming languages, program design, computer software, computer hardware, etc.
About Computer Science and Engineering Course
Computer Science & Engineering course deals with the design and understanding of the computational process and programming languages. A candidate enrolled for this course learn about various subjects like Algorithms, programming languages like Java, .Net, Python, operating systems, database management systems, computer networks, computer graphics, compiler design, artificial intelligence.
The work of a computer science engineer is to design and develop software applications, fibers, and handle hardware if necessary. Computer Science Engineering is trendy among students as computers have become a prerequisite requirement in everyday life. A computer engineer works to assemble the developed components to form network systems and machines as per the individual need. Their main task is related to software development.
After completing this course, there are enormous job opportunities available, and students get to work in various fields like database management, embedded systems, and many other related industries. They work on a variety of different aspects like CAD (computer-assisted design), CAM (computer-assisted manufacturing), World Wide Web, (VOIP) voice over internet protocol, networking, and communications. They are more engaged in programming & coding and write codes for software, electrical devices like printers, modems, and scanners, etc. They also write laws for operating systems such as Windows, UNIX, and Linux. The students enrolled in the computer science course will experience ample knowledge about how the actual implementation, design, and management of the entire information system in both the aspects- hardware and software- occurs.
This course is offered all over the world in the best of the technical institutions, and a student can pursue graduation and post-graduation degrees from these. This course creates the technocrats. The students get to learn technical things like how to develop a variety of hardware and software and acquire knowledge about communications systems and other similar devices. There are the particular right set of skills that a student must possess to be able to pursue a Computer Science Engineering program like- Analytical skills, Creativity, Critical thinking, Problem-solving skills, Good Programming Skills, Strong Data Structures and Algorithms skills, Basic web development knowledge, Ability to grasp the knowledge quickly, Basics of security, vulnerabilities, and cryptography, Basics of Machine Learning.
Computer engineering course trains students to design and develop various technological devices and computer systems using their technical skills. They are indulging in research, designing & developing processors, motherboards, circuit boards, memory devices, routers, and test computer systems. The candidates working in computer engineering enjoy some of the most significant advantages like having high pay, inventive and challenging working patterns, and regularly learning new things.
Computer Science & Engineering divided into three programs:
- Diploma courses like the polytechnic diploma of 3 years duration.
- UG courses like B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology) degree of 4 years duration.
- PG courses like M.Tech (Master of Technology) degree of 2 years duration.
Various Courses in computer science & engineering are :
- Diploma in Computer Science and Technology
- Diploma in Computer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Computer Engineering
- Master of Engineering (ME/M.Tech) in Computer Engineering
- Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Networking
- Masters of Philosophy (M.Phill) in Computer Science and Engineering
Course curriculum/ Syllabus For Computer Science Engineering
The entire curriculum divided into semesters. The syllabus prepared by AICTE (All India Council of Technical Education). In the starting semesters, students learn about various core subjects related to programming and computer systems. In the last semester, students have to submit projects.
- Chemistry I
- Introduction to computer programming
- Chemistry Lab
- Workshop Practice
- Linear Algebra and Ordinary Differential Equations
- Modern Physics
- Data Analysis and Interpretation
- Abstractions and Paradigms in Programming
- Physics Lab
- Abstractions and Paradigms in Programming
- Engineering Graphics and Drawing
- Numerical Analysis
- Introduction to Electrical and Electronic Circuits
- Discrete Structures
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Experimentation and Measurement Lab
- Data Structures and Algorithms Lab
- Environmental Studies
- Automata Theory and Logic
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Logic Design
- Software Systems Lab
- Logic Design Lab
- Computer Architecture
- Operating Systems
- Database and Information Systems
- Database and Information Systems Lab
- Computer Architecture Lab
- Operating Systems Lab
- Artificial Intelligence
- Implementation of Programming Languages
- Computer Networks
- Artificial Intelligence Lab
- Implementation of Programming Languages Lab
- Computer Networks Lab
- Java Programming and Website Design
- Linux & X-Windows Programming
- Multimedia Technologies
- Mobile Computing
- Computer Graphics
- Software Project Management
- Neural Networks
- Introduction to .Net
- Data Mining and Ware Housing
Scope of Computer Science Engineering
Computer science is one of the most popular degree courses, and the scope of this field is boundless, and growth potential is infinite in this field of study. With an average growth of digitization of businesses is opening more and more new career opportunities for such computer science engineers. The demand for skilled professionals and CSE experts increases with every passing date as the number of software companies and IT hubs are increasing and expanding. There are endless fields offered by many universities in India and abroad in which Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Biocomputation, and Mobile & Internet Computing, computer & network security, big data & data science, human-computer interaction, and cloud computing are some of the courses which are quite popular choices. There are infinite opportunities in terms of growth and enormous options available for all students/candidates.
- Software engineer– Software engineers are responsible for designing develop manage and implement computer software by applying the basic knowledge of computer science engineering, which can be used for problem-solving in the field of Information Technology. The starting salary of any software engineer can range from INR 3.5 lakh to 6 lakh.
- IT administrator– The starting salary of an IT administrator is INR 2 lakh to 2.5 Lacs. Their main task is to construct and configure the computer systems so that all the multi-user computers can remain upgraded.
- Mobile application developer- The job responsibility of a mobile application developer is to create software for smaller platforms like mobiles so that the users can gain access to it on the go. The starting salary of any mobile application developer is 2.5 lakh to 4.5 lakh INR.
- Software tester– They are mainly involved in testing software applications created by the developers so that there is a quality check over them. The starting salary of the software tester is from INR 3 lakh to 4 lakh.
- Computer architecture and the organization–This course is related to the computers’ internal working mechanism and the implementation of the entire computer system. It can also be termed as learning the development of the inner structure of networks.
- Software testing- This involves the study about a procedure used to test whether the software is built according to the specified requirements or not and to find out the defects that need to be rectified to enhance the quality of the software.
- Database Systems– This course is about the kind of software responsible for the storage and retrieval of data in the computer system. It is also responsible for regular updates of the data for the users.
- Data structure and algorithm- In this course, students learn about the unique format of computer systems used to organize and store data to solve a specific issue.
- Networking–This study is all about how the world of networking works and how it helps in the storage of data in various segments. This course consists of theoretical as well as practical approaches.
- Distributing computing systems- This course describes how numerous computer systems work in synchronization on a single platform.
- Cloud computing- It is the system of using an in-coherent network of remote servers on the internet that provides end-to-end computing services including storage, servers, networking, databases, analytics, intelligence, and software – over the cloud (Internet) and to integrate them to store manage and process the data rather than in a desktop for a personal computer or even a local server so that the data becomes invulnerable.
- Design and analysis of algorithms- This course describes the study of algorithms. It helps students to learn about how algorithms are to be designed to solve every kind of problem in the branch of Computer Science engineering and information technology.
- Compiler design- This course helps make the students understand the importance of a compiler and helps in drawing the same so that it can detect the error and rectify it in the computer system.
For getting admission in Under Graduate program, the candidate should have passed 10+2 examination from CBSE or any other equivalent university/ board with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as core subjects. The candidates should also fulfill minimum qualifying marks criteria i.e., 50% aggregate of the items.
For getting admission in the Post Graduate program, the candidate should have a B.Tech degree with a minimum passing percentage (60%) in aggregate of the subjects studied at the degree level.
The average tuition fee for this course ranges from INR 3 to 11 Lacs. The fee structure of every college differs in terms of facilities, locations, and academics.
Exams for Admission
Some Entrance exams are conducted at state/national levels to provide admission in computer science engineering course. The topmost are listed here:
- The Joint Entrance Exam Main (JEE Main) applications are available online in December and January. Candidates can choose either written (offline) exam or computer-based (Online) exam for Paper 1.
- SRM University organized a Joint Entrance Examination (SRMJEEE) for admission to CSE courses. The candidates can fill the application forms online in February and March.
- Sikkim Manipal University conducts an All India Manipal University Online Entrance Test (MU-OET). The Test application forms are available in March.
- Bharti Vidyapeeth Deemed University Common Entrance Test (BVP CET)
- Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination (BCECE)
- Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination (UPSEE)
- Telangana Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET )
Boost in the CSE sector has led to fruitful job opportunities for individuals. With the expanding employment opportunities, the demand for CSE experts has also increased. A fresh graduate of this course can expect an annual salary of between INR 2.5 – 4.5 Lacs, which will increase with experience in the field.
Some of the top recruiters for CSE experts are:
- Sun Microsystems
- Texas Instruments
- Merrill Lynch & Co
- Infosys Technologies
- HCL Technologies
- Accenture Services
- IBM Global Services
- Tech Mahindra
- Mahindra Satyam
Admission to this course is strictly through entrance exam followed by personal interview. The candidate can apply to a particular college by filling an application form. After that entrance test is conducted, followed by counseling/Personal Interview, and based on that, qualifying students will get the admission. The entrance exams are held at the national, state, or university level by the respective authorities. While some other institutions give admissions based on the merit list of the qualifying examination. The selection of students for the program varies from college to college. Some colleges accept the candidate’s admission solely based on Entrance Examination Score and declaring a merit list based on a candidate’s performance in Entrance Exam as well as their high school examination qualifying score.
Top colleges offering the course are:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- The Neotia College, Kolkata
- Chandigarh University
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur
- BITS Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Surathkal
- Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST)
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
- College of Engineering, Pune
FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q. I want to opt for the CSE course. Which is the best branch in Computer science engineering?
A. Some of the famous and highly demanded branches of Computer science and engineering are:-
- Machine Learning
- Artificial Intelligence
- Big Data
- Data Science
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Server Handling
Q. What are the main subjects in computer science engineering (CSE)?
A. In CSE course, the student learns about Operating System, Design and Analysis of Algorithm, Programming Languages like Java,.Net, Microprocessor, Computer Software, Database Management System, Mobile Communications, Neural networks, Cryptography and Network Security, Performance Evaluation, etc.
Q. What is the difference between computer science and computer engineering?
A. There is a vast difference between these subjects. Computer science is a study that deals with troubleshooting issues on a software level. This study focuses on programming languages and operating systems and learning the technical aspects of software and its advancements. On the other side, computer engineering is a study which mainly focuses on hardware and software interface development and its related issues. Computer Science is more about in-depth knowledge of a specific field, while computer engineering integrates innovation and technology
Q. How is Computer Science Engineering different from BCA?
A. BCA (Bachelor of Computer Application) is a course entirely dedicated to computer application, the software involved, its design, programming, operational function, management, etc. Simultaneously, computer science makes you proficient at the technical level and deals with troubleshooting issues on a software level.
Q. Which course is best for CSE students?
A. The following courses are suitable for CSE students:
- Web Development
- Mobile Application Development
- Software Engineering
- Systems Architect
- Machine Learning
- Data Engineering
Q. Which is the highest-paid engineering course nowadays?
A. Here is a list of the most popular courses in demand and whose scope is also very vast.
- Computer Science
- Aerospace Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
Q. How many seats are there in IIT Bombay CSE?
A. The number of seats available is 110, but the closing rank is 62. So IIT Bombay doesn’t take more than 62 students into the CSE branch.
Q. What is the difference between IT or computer science?
A. Both are in high demand nowadays, and both of them have their advantages. IT (Information Technology) is more about installing, maintaining, and improving computer systems, operating networks, and databases. On the other hand, computer science is about using mathematics to program systems to run more effectively.